The other day I was craving a bowl of chilli but wanted it loaded with veggies. I went on Pinterest (as we do when about to start cooking) and had a hard time finding a recipe for what I had in mind. I read a few and combined what I liked to come up with this! I shared our supper on Instagram and asked if anyone was interested in the recipe, and many wanted to see so I am going to share it today! Please keep in mind that I am far from a chef, and that this can clearly be tweaked to your personal preferences. I will say it was a great way to get the kids to eat some veggies without them even realizing it – mom win! Hope you guys enjoy, and if you try it out make sure to tag me so I can see! Bon appetite!
2 lbs ground beef (I use the organic line from Sobeys)
1 medium onion, finely cubed
3 garlic cloves minced
3 large carrots, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cubed
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 large can of diced tomatoes + the juice
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can beef broth
1 can tomato soup
Seasoning: (note – I am not a huge fan of super spicy seasoning, so feel free to add as much heat as you like)
taco seasoning, I just sprinkled didn’t measure – roughly 2 tbsp
1 tsp molases (randomly adding this, probably not necessary lol)
1. Cook beef in your chilli pot over medium heat, breaking up the meat while stirring.
2. Add onion and garlic, cook until tender.
3. Add you veggies, cook until tender, stirring as needed.
4. Pour in tomatoes with juice, add beans, broth, tomato soup and seasoning. Stir well to combine everything.
5. Keep chilli at a gentle boil and allow to cook for 15-20 mins, or until veggies reach your desired tenderness. This is where you want to do taste test and add more seasoning if needed.
6. Turn off heat and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Serve right away!
I added shredded Tex Mex cheese, cubed avocado and a dollop of plain greek yogurt!